The Home Page has to accommodate:
- Site identity and mission.
- Site hierarchy.
- Content promos.
- Feature promos.
- Timely content.
- Show me what I'm looking for.
- ...and what I'm not looking for.
- Show me where to start.
- Establish credibility and trust.
The Home page needs to answer the questions:
1. What is this?
2. What can I do here?
3. What do they have here?
4. Why should I be here - and not somewhere else?
5. Where do I start?
People can enter your site by clicking on a link in an email, a blog, or something from a social network that takes them directly to a page deep in your site. Because of this, every page of your site should do as much as it can to orient them properly: to give them the right idea about who you are, what you do, and what your site has to offer.
Based on the Steve Krug's book "Don't make me think"